Did you know?
1) There are approximately 781 million illiterate adults worldwide – two-thirds of whom are women : a woman is twice more likely to be illiterate than a man because she is twice as likely to miss out on education completely.
2) In most countries, women only earn between 60 and 75% of men’s wages – for the same work
3) Each minute, 28 girls are married before they are ready
4) Women spend up to 5 more hours on unpaid domestic work than men each day
5) Women in most countries face legal barriers that restrict their economic opportunity; women continue to face restrictions on the types of work they can do, their ability to own property, and the age they can retire
Yet some people wonder why women across the world continue to fight for gender equality. According to internationalwomensday.com, International Women’s Day (March 8) is a global day celebrating the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women. International Women’s Day is all about unity, celebration, reflection, advocacy and action.
This year’s theme is #BalanaceForBetter which is basically creating awareness for a more gender balanced world. International Women’s Day means different things to different people, but the global focus on equality and celebration is clear.
The “Balance For Better” theme isn’t just supposed to run on International Women’s Day alone, the fight for gender equality is a continuous fight and everyone should create awareness for gender equality each and every day.
What we are asking for is very simple; give women the same opportunities as men! Stop seeing gender and start seeing people. Eliminate Gender roles!
I can confidently say that at least 9 out of 10 women have faced gender discrimination at least once. Women face discrimination in the workplace, at home, at church, at school etc. This is why women are continuously fighting for equal rights each and everyday.
Gender inequality can only be eliminated if each and every person takes the small steps to abolish it; stop thinking that because she’s a woman, she can’t be president, or why don’t you increase the salary of the woman in your office who is doing the same work as the man, or how about you stop telling your girlfriend/wife to cook for you simply because she’s a woman! It really just starts from small actions.
Let us all continue to strive for a more gender balanced world. Happy International Women’s Day to all the wonderful women around the world